- Posted earlier on this bike from SportHQ, advertised on Amazon for £499, but luckily for me I spotted it had dropped to £399 in the January sales. Tim at SportHQ was kind enough to lower the price!
- It arrived a few days later over the Xmas break. I unpacked it and had it assembled, tires inflated via my car electric pump and off we went. It’s a Pedelec, which means as you peddle it engages to 250W brushless electric rear hub motor, seamlessly making hill climbing a synch! It has a 24V 10Amp battery, 7-speed Shimano SIS derailleur, rear hub brake and standard front calliper brake. The battery can be removed for charging. The handbook says to connect the battery charge plug into the battery prior to connecting the LiPol charger to the mains. You then reverse the process by pulling out the mains supply plug, a relay is heard to drop out, then disconnect the battery connector. The battery box is sealed from water, so should be rain proof. Comments on Amazon rate this bike at 4.5 stars, with one complaint about some of the bolts rusting. This can be easily remedied with a little grease or household Vaseline and general maintenance with the oil can every couple of weeks. Front suspension is average quality, but for the town/city it is adequate and you could always buy a seat post knuckle-over suspension like the SR SUNTOUR SP-NE
- I took it for a spin around my close up and down a 10 degree incline and hardly had to use force to get uphill. Just freewheel to disengage the motor, peddle to start again and the peddle sensor detects the main chain-wheel moving and engages the motor. The split throttle can also be twisted towards you to manually engage the motor. The throttle doesn’t incrementally step up, but there is no sudden jolt, the motor just spools up, so it’s more of a switch. I will try a few more hills with steep inclines to know more of how the pedelec system performs
- 17" mountain bike frame (suitable for use from 5ft 5 to approximately 6ft 2) - 250 watt brushless motor
- New Lithium-ion battery provides huge power (up to 45km range) and weighs a fraction of traditional lead-acid batteries. Also won't suffer 'memory effect' and has a very low self-discharge rate -
- Shimano Tourney SIS-Index gears with quick-shift - Adjustable height seat raises to up to 43" from the ground
- Servo "anti-cling" safety brakes - premium front suspension for comfort
- Quick release battery and front wheel - Front and rear mud guards - Legal for road use - no road tax or driving licence required. Legally, no helmet nor insurance required (although we recommend both!)